Thursday, February 12, 2009

Production Journal: February 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, 2009

Song(s) in Production: 'A Working Man's Tune' Recording Sessions

Monday - February 2nd, 2009: 11am to 3pm - Today everyone was on board, Russ: laying down drum tracks, Rich: engineering, and Myself: Producing. We all arrived around the same time and began the day setting up for the weeks recording sessions for drums.

After a hour or so of miking the drum kit and getting the desired sound, we all sat down and discussed the song and the plan of attack to recording a good drum track. Russ had a lot of input as to what he thought might sound good...I was all ears because I had no idea what I wanted. After another hour of devising a plan Russ took a stab at the track.

Intuitively, he played a really great first take and then we all got together to discuss the take and where we were going to move from there. We decided on a few things and Russ went back in to take another run at it. Again, we all sat down and listened and talked about it. Realizing time was slipping away...we decided to wait until Wednesday...so Russ could sleep with the tune for a few days.

Tuesday - February 3rd, 2009: 11am to 2pm/6pm to 11:30pm - I couldn't sleep Monday night because I really wanted to get back to the studio to do some editing of the Two Drum Takes that Russ laid down on Monday. I wondered if I had enough information to edit a cohesive drum track for the song. I spent a good 5 hours doing edits. All the time was well worth it. I felt that I had a pretty decent drum track to work with that I hoped Russ and Rich would approve of.

At around 8pm I started working on writing a Bass part for the song. By 11pm I had recorded four takes of the Bass part and did a couple of minor edits and the Bass Track to the song was finished. Slowly the song is taking shape.

Wednesday - February4th, 2009: 11am to 2pm - Russ, Rich and myself all arrived around 11am...I was a bit nervous to play for them all the edits I had made to Russ's drum track. Spending five hours on something to find out it was a waste was 'Not' what I had in mind.
I sat there biting my nails as they both listened to everything I had done the day before. Judgement? They loved it...I think Russ's exact words were, "I love it! There is no need for me to play it again." Rich was also in agreement...Thank God!

We did some very minor overdubs of cymbal parts in verse 4 and at the end of the song. I think in total, Russ played 10 cymbal hits. He said that it was the easiest day of recording he'd ever done. He should have played only 9 hits...but I made him do the last hit 2x...because he's a drummer!

Anyway, the past few days were very successful and I am eager to record flute and piccolo parts for, 'A Working Man's Tune' and 'Pray'. Recording scheduled for Friday, Feb. 6th, 2009.