Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Production Journal: January 26th, 2009

Song(s) in Production: 'Here Comes The Night' Recording Sessions

Monday - January 26th, 2009: 11am to 2:00pm - Russ and I began work promptly at 11am. We did a final sound check of the drums and then we got down to business. Take 1, 2 and 3 were all about Russ getting the drum part down for the song. Each take he got closer to the original drum track that I had pieced together from three different rehearsals of the song with a live band; a few years earlier.

By Take 4, 5, and 6 he had finally got the drum track pretty much nailed. After Take 6 we sat and listened to it and we both decided that the Hi Toms were getting lost in the music. We needed to mic those drums up differently than we did with the Ludwig Kit.

A couple of sound checks later we finally got a good sound from the whole kit where the Toms were present...you could easily hear the tones from each of the drums. At this point 2 O'clock had arrived and it was time for me to run off to my PT.

The session will continue tomorrow...we should have no problem getting the track recorded...Oh Man! I hope I just didn't jinx myself! We'll find out tomorrow!

Until next time, Hutch